For many years a magistrate was available in Falmouth to try certain types of cases. The little brick office, which still stands on Cambridge Street, was so small as to be able to contain little more than one or two people at a time. For many years, court was conducted at Roach’s Mill, formerly the mill belonging to the Chatham estate. This stood near the railroad underpass on Naomi Road (Route 607) and near modern Woodmont Nursing Home. In August 1910 magistrates Lee Wallace (c.1856-1935) and Robert H. Gray (1873-1958) met at Roach’s Mill and tried the case of several boys accused of stealing watermelons from Thomas Jett’s farm. They pleaded guilty and were fined $1 plus costs. “The shade of an old apple tree was used for the courthouse. A large crowd was present at trial” (Free Lance, Aug. 23, 1910).