Silem Frederick Gustavus Phillips, who went by the name of Gusty, was the son of Col. William Phillips (1744-1797) and Elizabeth Ann Fowke (1747-c.1829) of Stafford County, Virginia. Gusty never married and resided with his two sisters on his father’s Traveler’s Rest farm, which is now included in the Marine Corps reservation. He was buried with several of his family members in the Warrenton City (Virginia) Cemetery. In 1835, Silem F. G. Phillips was overseer of an unspecified section of road in Stafford.