James Edward Berry (1836-1913) was the son of Richard Berry (c.1807-1867) and Sarah Payne (c.1810-1880).  In 1860 James married Mildred J. Bowler (born 1836).  During the War Between the States, he served with the Fredericksburg Artillery.  After the war, James E. Berry was a bridge keeper and railroad watchman.  In 1867 he was overseer of the road “from the lower ford on  Potomac Run to Claiborns [sic] Run in place of John Anthony who has removed from the neighborhood.”  In May 1900, the Stafford County court approved his application for a $15 pension.  James died at Leeland in Stafford