George Easom Monroe (1855-1906) was the son of William A. Monroe (c.1823-after 1880) of Stafford County, Virginia. In 1877 he married Mary Thomas Downs (1853-1943), the daughter of Thomas William Downs (c.1825-1880) and Amanda Ellen Smith (c.1834-c.1868). George E. Monroe lived at Cedar Hedge in the heart of Stafford’s gold mines between Warrenton Road (U. S. Route 17) and the Rappahannock River. He was Overseer of the Poor for Hartwood District from 1889 to at least 1895. George served on the Stafford County Board of Supervisors from 1897 to 1898. He was buried at his home. Cedar Hedge farm has been lost to the development of Stafford Estates subdivision, though the family cemetery and the house ruin survives.