Charles James Chartters (1853-1931) was born in Spotsylvania County, Virginia and later moved to Stafford County. He was the son of Thomas R. Chartters (1821-1862) and Julia Decartro Chancellor (1825-1904). In 1892 Charles married Ella Morrison (1859-1912). During the years he lived in Spotsylvania, Charles J. Chartters was a member of Wilderness Baptist Church. He later joined Berea Baptist Church in Stafford. Charles was one of the Assessors of Lands for Stafford from 1889 to 1890 and from 1899 to 1900. He also served as a school trustee for the Hartwood School District from at least 1905 to 1920. Charles J. Chartters lived at Cherry Grove, now a Del Webb subdivision on Sanford Drive (Route 670) in Stafford County.