In 1902 the National Copper Ore Company came to Stafford to inspect a reported deposit of copper near Aquia Run and Garrisonville. They quickly discovered that the mineral here was pyrite, not copper, but they set to work to mine it anyway. A newspaper reported:
“The pyrites mines of this place propose to begin active operation in a few days. For two or three weeks the works have been closed down. Mr. Chas. Gill, of this place has just sold the mineral rights on his Onville farm to the same company, New York National Copper Ore Company, for $1,200. We sincerely hope mineral of paying quantities may be found. This company has spent about $50,000 in the search. It means much to Stafford, and especially to Garrisonville, if the long looked for veins are located” (Free Lance, Jan. 21, 1904).