John W. H. Alexander was the son of John Alexander (died c.1865) who may have been from Prince William County, Virginia. In 1826 John Alexander purchased 385 acres in the upper part of Stafford County. This became known as Locust Grove. Part of this conveyed to J. W. H. Alexander and he made his home here. The tract is now part of the Quantico Marine Corps reservation. John W. H. Alexander married his cousin, Annie Olivia Wesley Lowe (1835-1923) of Richmond, Virginia. In 1886 he served as a constable in Stafford.