John Moncure Ashby (1852-1918) was the son of James Green Ashby (1827-1861) and the nephew of Confederate Gen. Turner Ashby (1826-1862). In 1902 John purchased 23 acres of Cool Spring Farm near White Oak Road and the R. F. & P. train tracks. "On the property is a nice residence, barn, stable and other outhouses" (Free Lance, Mar. 8, 1902). He married Mamie L. Duvall (born 1870). In 1884 and 1885 John M. Ashby was Assistant Assessor of Lands for Stafford County, Virginia. He was a school trustee in 1917 and 1918 and was buried at Aquia Episcopal Church in Stafford.