Jefferson Spindle (c.1804-1861) was the son of William Spindle (1774-1836) and Elizabeth Alsop of Spotsylvania County, Virginia. He married Maria A. Tackett (c.1810-1883), the daughter of Charles Tackett, Sr. (c.1780-1834) and Ann Barber (born 1801) of Stafford County. Jefferson assisted his father-in-law with the Mill Farm Seminary, a school that Tackett had started in 1818 at Tackett's Mills. The two organizers of this school were Tackett and his father-in-law, William Barber (1787-1881). Jefferson Spindle also served as postmaster of the Tackett's Mill Post Office from 1841 to 1846. In 1846 Spindle purchased the old Washington plantation, Windsor Forest, from Charles Prosser Moncure (1819-1886). Here he established his own school. This was one of two farms by this name in Stafford, this one now being part of the Marine Corps reservation. Jefferson was a magistrate in Stafford from at least 1847 to 1852.