Captain William Brown Wallace (1757-1833) was the son of Dr. Michael Wallace (1719-1767) and Elizabeth Brown (1723-1777) of Ellerslie, Stafford County, Virginia. In 1787 he married Barbara Fox (1766-1833). Around 1794 William B. Wallace purchased the old Falmouth Tobacco Warehouses at the bottom of the hill near modern Amy's Cafe. At this point, they assumed the name of Wallace's Warehouses. A fire destroyed the buildings in 1796 and Wallace rebuilt. He ran the warehouses at least through 1798. As payment for his Revolutionary War services, Wallace was granted 200 acres and by 1828 he was a resident of Kentucky. Both he and his wife succumbed to cholera in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
Andrew Jackson Woodard (1878-1959) was the son of William Woodard (1858-1928) and Mary Ann Gallahan (1858-1929) of Stafford County, Virginia. He was also the brother of French E. Woodard (1888-1974). Andrew J. Woodard owned and resided at Spring Hill about a mile east of Stafford Courthouse, but moved to Denver, Colorado in 1932 for his health. He married Maggie Gallahan and was buried in Denver. Many of the Woodard family lived near Aquia Creek in Stafford and the surname sometimes appears in the early records as "Woodyard." Some of the Woodard family were noted watermen.
Charles Withers (c.1761-1818) was the son of James Withers (1736-c.1818) of Stafford County, Virginia. He lived in what later became known as the Chartters Place or Cherry Grove on Sanford Drive (Route 670), which is now a Del Webb subdivision. Charles Withers was buried on the west side of Sanford Drive and this cemetery is now maintained by the subdivision homeowners' association. Charles was a tobacco inspector at Dixon's Warehouse in Falmouth in 1793.
Joseph C. Wine (c.1832-1909) was the son of Thomas and Sarah Wine of Stafford County, Virginia. In 1870 he paid taxes on 82 acres at Crest near Ramoth Baptist Church. Around 1883, he moved to Fairfield, Ohio and married Catherine Bretz. By 1887, Joseph and Catherine had returned to his Stafford farm. She died and he married Sarah Ann Rose (c.1860-c.1936). Joseph C. Wine was a blacksmith by trade.
Joseph Whitson (c.1615-1696) was born in Bristol, England and came to Virginia in 1635. He acquired 300 acres on the north side of Aquia Creek in Wide Water, Stafford County, Virginia, and another 400 acres on what became known as Whitson's Branch. This second tract was located slightly west of the modern Wal-Mart on Garrisonville Road (Route 610). The R F & P Railroad ran through the old Whitson tract where it crossed Aquia Creek and headed north toward Quantico, Virginia.
Bailey Washington (1731-1807) was the son of Henry Washington (c.1694-1748) and Mary Bayley (c.1694-1735). From his father Bailey inherited land on Aquia Run, which later became known as Windsor Forest. This farm was on the east side of Onville Road (Route 641) and is now part of the Quantico Marine Corps reservation. In 1749 Bailey married Catherine Storke (1723-1805), the daughter of William Storke (c.1690-1726) and Elizabeth Hart (c.1695-1760) of St. Paul's Parish. Bailey was a magistrate in Stafford County, Virginia from at least 1754 to 1779. He was a cousin to President George Washington.
John Warner (c.1680-1742) is believed to have been born in Pennsylvania. He married Margaret (maiden name unknown). They daughter, Elizabeth "Lettice" Warner (1720:25-1795) married in Stafford Brereton Jones (1716-1795). John was considered the one of the best surveyors in Stafford County, Virginia and in 1736 was appointed one of a group of surveyors charged with determining the bounds of Lord Fairfax's Northern Neck Proprietary. In his will, John Warner asked to be buried outside the old frame chapel that used to stand to the immediate south of the present Aquia Episcopal Church. John was surveyor of Stafford County from at least 1727 to 1741.
The Wamsley family seems to have come to Stafford County, Virginia from Maryland and they were here by at least the time of the American Revolution. In 1871 Benjamin C. E. Wamsley (c.1814-1886) paid taxes on 264 acres on Cannon Run. This land is now part of the Marine Corps reservation. He was the son of Benjamin Wamsley (died c.1846), also of Stafford. Benjamin C. E. Wamsley married Eliza F. Shelkett (c.1827-1879), the daughter of John Shelkett (1793-1857) and Nancy Stark (1786-1834). Benjamin was a magistrate in Stafford from at least 1853 to 1856.
Charles Waller (1702-1749) was the son of Charles Waller (1674-1724) and Susannah Forrest (c.1677-1747) of Essex County, Virginia and the brother of Edward Waller (1703-1753). At some point, the elder Charles acquired several hundred acres on Aquia Creek and devised this to his sons, Charles and Edward. Charles, Sr. died prior to his sons and their mother moving to Stafford County, Virginia from Essex. Once here, they built Concord on their father's land. The younger Charles had sawyers and may have been in the boat building business, as well. In 1749 he sold 7,013 feet of pine planks to Kingsbury Iron Furnace in Maryland and 596 feet of oak planks to Accokeek Iron Furnace in Stafford. The following year, Accokeek paid him £30.12.6 "for a New flat with oars masts anchors & cable." Charles also partnered with Capt. Richard Lyndon in a… Continue reading
Anne Eliza Stribling (1832-1903) was the daughter of Robert Mackey Stribling (1793-1862) and Caroline Matilda Clarkson (1800-1887) of Fauquier County. She married Withers Waller (1827-1900) of Clifton, Stafford County. Prior to the War Between the States, Withers operated a fishery at Clifton on the Potomac River. A commercial fishery had been in place here since at least the mid-1700s. Because of the Union occupation during the war, no fishing was conducted here after about 1861. When the Waller family returned to Clifton after the peace, they found themselves amongst the few fortunate Stafford residents to still have a house. A few years after the war, Withers reopened his fishing business. Men who had worked there as slaves prior to the war returned after the peace and worked for wages. When the R. F. & P. Railroad extended the tracks across… Continue reading